About the Office of the Solicitor General
The Office of the Solicitor-General serves the public of Somaliland by providing essential legal expertise and legal support to the Government of Somaliland.
The Office of the Solicitor-General is established under section 48 of the Somaliland Judiciary Organization law. Lr: 24/2003. The Somaliland President H.E Ahmed Mohamed (Silanyo) implemented the establishment of the Office of the Solicitor General for the first time in Somaliland history. The president proclaimed the establishment of the office in 30th/June/2011.
The purpose of establishing the Office of the Solicitor General, as law office of the Government, is to provide legal services to the government of Somaliland. Furthermore, the Somaliland Official Gazette was established by Regulation No. 0187/012012, dated on 04/01/12 which was issued by the President, and according to this regulation, the Official Gazette was established for the purpose of publishing all legislations, presidential decrees, administrative decisions having general application and other notices required to be published by law.
The Office comprises of various Departments, which administer various statutes assigned to the Solicitor-General. These include the legal department, official gazette department, and administration department. The Solicitor-General Office is a one-stop shop for the provision of litigation, advocacy, legislative drafting, and legal advisory services to the Executive, Government Ministries and Department, and other statutory bodies in all areas of law.
The Office of the Solicitor General will be the best public law office in Somaliland leading the state with the trust, confidence, and support of partners, consumers, and policy-makers while committing to the highest professional and ethical standards
- To provide efficient and professional legal services and legal representation to the Government of Somaliland for the interest of the State, and To promote the rule of law by providing legal opinion and advice on issues faced by government entities.
- To develop the Solicitor General’s Office into a Centre of Excellence for Government’s Legal and Legislative Drafting Services
- To be a center for legal publication and dissemination service for the government and for the public by publishing legislation in the Official Gazette and on the official website;
All staff in the Office of the Solicitor General are guided by the following core values:
- We will deliver high-quality legal services and remember that we serve the people of Somaliland.
- We will conduct ourselves with integrity, professionalism, civility, and transparency.
- We will promote solidarity, teamwork, co-operation, and an inclusive workplace that values respects, and supports our employees and colleagues